Despite a general hiatus from blogging, the worthy celebration that is the #BRSMblogparty organised by @JessTheChemist of The Organic Solution and @AzaPrins, made a post essential. @BRSM_blog (the blog is here) is imminently heading to the USA, and hence a kindly goodbye from these fair shores is due.
I have taken a few liberties with @JessTheChemist’s template…..
1. What are your messages for BRSM?
- Please keep writing if you can, even with the pressures of an (American) postdoc.
- Changing your spelling to accommodate your colleagues is not permitted.
- Take joy every single day in the knowledge that you don’t have to write a thesis.
2. What are the postdoc survival tips you would give to BRSM?
- Find good restaurants as fast as you can – you won’t have time to cook.
- Quickly identify the most helpful/knowledgable PhD students and be as nice to them as possible – these guys can make your start so much more painless (thanks Christian, Daniel, Nadine).
- Have one day off a week – a whole day. Even if you just use it for sleeping.
3. Survival tips for living in the US?
- Do not eat mac and cheese as a side to fried chicken and fries, and wash it down with a forty. If you have never had it before, heartburn in the middle of the night can initiate a certain degree of panic.
- Prepare yourself in advance for the cost a mobile phone contract. It is scary (so I have been told).
- Get a VPN client – you will miss the BBC, I promise.
4. What would you like to see on BRSM blog in the future?
- The secrets to a balanced life as a postdoc.
- The most important/fun things you learn that you didn’t already know.
- What do you think the future of synthesis will look like?
5. Anything else?
Good Bye and Good Luck BRSM